As some of you may know that my store in Santa Monica was robbed in September 2022, it was a devastating experience, and took me a lot of effort to get things back on track. Here are some of the tips that can help to prevent this from happening again to other retail stores on the streets.
- Increase visibility: Make sure the store has good lighting and that the storefront is visible from the street. This can deter potential robbers from attempting a robbery.
- Use security cameras: Install security cameras throughout the store to deter potential robbers and to aid in identifying them if a robbery does occur.
- Train employees: Train employees on what to do in case of a robbery, including how to handle cash, how to identify suspicious behavior, and how to activate an alarm.
- Limit the amount of cash on hand: Keep a limited amount of cash on hand and deposit it regularly in the bank.
- Secure the store: Use an alarm system, deadbolts, and other security measures to make it difficult for robbers to enter the store.
- Be vigilant: Keep an eye on customers, look out for suspicious behavior, and be prepared to take action if necessary.
- Consider hiring security personnel to patrol the store or have a guard at the door.
It's important to note that it's always better to avoid a robbery and not to engage with the robbers. And to call the police and wait for their arrival.